3.1.06

Seeding the Playoffs

The playoffs are here and the season is coming to an end. I set up my scrappy NFL post-season chart, I made bets against some of the bad spreads, and of course, I selected my post-season wins--which I will probably share with you on Thursday. But before anything. I would like to explain as simply as possible how the post season works.

Anyone familiar with tournaments should know that a 'seed' is basically a spot or position in the tournament. The lower the number of the seed, the better your position is. How the seeds are determined in the NFL are based on several different factors. The first thing you need to know is that the NFL is split into two different conferences, the NFC and the AFC. The Super Bowl is the best of the NFC vs. the best of the AFC. But until the Super Bowl, the two conferences don't play each other in the post season. Within each of those conferences are four different divisions. Seeds one through four are the division champions in each conference and are ordered by their record. The last two seeds are the teams with the best records not already seeded. Incase you didn’t catch that, that’s six seeds in each conference.

Now that you have the seeds down you might be asking yourself, "What the heck is JD talking about?" or maybe you are asking, "What is the purpose of these seeds?" If you were someone who was asking the first question, I suggest you read that previous paragraph over again before continuing. However if you are ready to hear about what the purpose of the seeds are, please continue. First off, seeds one and two get to take the first week of the post season off. The next four seeds however have to play the first week. Seed 3 plays seed 6 and seed 4 plays seed 5. Now this is where it gets complicated, after those games are played, seed one plays the winning team with the highest number seed and seed two plays the other winning team. For example if seed 3 and 5 won, than seed 1 would play seed 5 and seed 2 would play seed 3. Next the winners of those two games play to win their conference. Lastly the final team left alive is sent to the Super Bowl and the rest is history.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok im kinda new to this and i get the afc thingy but i dont get the seeds can u pretty pleaz explain that one more time! mucho gracias!! :)

3.1.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know if you care about college or not, but how come they don't have a tournament like the professionals, just a bunch of bowls all played at once

3.1.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea i agree with the anonymous guy thats talkin bout college football hmmm.....i wonder. teheehee u get asked some random questions

3.1.06  
Blogger JD said...

To the first comment, I'm not sure how to explain it any other way. If you have a more specific question, like what seeds are or anything like that I might be able to help you out.
To the second comment, the college bowls are a very complicated and confusing system, I can't get back to you on that today, however i may right a brief about it tomorrow.
-JD

3.1.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanku, and now that u mention it i do have a question about the seeds i kno ur prob like gosh y doesnt this girl jus give up on the stupid seeds but....y did they name them that and wat are seeds???? thanx <3

3.1.06  
Blogger JD said...

Lol, no it's fine I'm more than happy to explain it to you. Seeds are basically like a playoff spot or position. It is sort of like a rank except it doesn't change throughout the postseason. As I said in the article, the lower the seed, the better the position in the postseason. For example the in every game the lower seed always gets home field advantage. As to where the word comes from, I couldn't tell you but I'm sure the answer is somewhere on the web. I hope this answered your questions and please keep the questions coming. Also, where did you get my website address from?
-JD

3.1.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanx for the help but i dont think ill ever really get the seed thingies but thats ok

3.1.06  
Blogger JD said...

Haha I can keep on trying, i've got all night. I can e-mail you a picture that may help clarify if you'd like. Send me your e-mail address and i will delete your comment after so no one else can take it. And where did you get the site from, i'm really curious because i am trying to get it read.
-JD

3.1.06  
Blogger JD said...

Oh and i can't tell one 'anonymous' from another, so PLEASE sign your name.
-JD

3.1.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is about your NE pick last week...good call. The tougher one is this week and if they win isn't all over in Denver?

What do think about about drop-kicks from 43 year old guys?

4.1.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha hay! its mary i remeembered seeing ur blog on ur profile and it was about football and since i was trying to get into football i read ur entries but kinda had issues understanding them as u could tell lol but i do appreciate u helping me with it and im kinda startin to understand it but it is way more complicated than i thought

4.1.06  
Blogger JD said...

Thanks for noticing my call in NE. Also I think that Doug Flutie is now forever my hero for pulling that off. However I'm not sure exactly what you meant by that last comment, "The tougher one is this week and if they win isn't all over in Denver?" Please clarify that statement and I will try to get back to you.
-JD

4.1.06  
Blogger Cutthroat Pirates said...

Hey JD, nice on explaining the seeds. As a huge football fan, I got the seeds down and how about the 3rd seed in the NFL, woooooo yep my bucs. I just hope that we go far into the playoffs. It would be nice to get a rematch with the Pats in the Superbowl.

4.1.06  
Blogger JD said...

Absolutely, and congratulations on your playoff birth, and good luck against Washington.
-JD

4.1.06  
Blogger The Armchair Quarterback said...

Concerning seeds, did the Pats luck out or what. I think they are much better off facing the Jags than the Steelers. Although I think they would beat either team. I'm a Pats hater but my gut tells me they might just be the team representing the AFC in the Superbowl. The Colts have been on cruise control for just too long.

5.1.06  
Blogger JD said...

You are right about the pats being fortunate in playing Jacksonville, however I don't thing the team is healthy enough to three-peat. If all goes as I plan, I will be able to write an article about the what will happen this post-season tonight.
-JD

5.1.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home